Sahadi Fine Foods
In 1895, Abrahim Sahadi opened A. Sahadi & Co on Washington Street in NYC. In 1919, Wade Sahadi came to America from Lebanon and went to work with his Uncle Abrahim. For the next 22 years, the family worked together to build an improved A. Sahadi & Co. By 1941, the younger and more aggressive Wade, and his more content uncle, had some differences of opinion and Wade decided to go into business on his own. By that time, Wade had become a junior partner in A. Sahadi and Uncle Abe bought him out with merchandise ; e.g. lentils, chick peas, olives and bulghur. In 1941, Wade established Sahadi Importing Co also on Washington Street in Manhattan. In the mid - 1940's, the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel was being constructed and, with the excavation being done on both the Brooklyn and Manhattan sides, many homes and businesses were displaced. By this time, Wade had taken on a partner Nicholas Sabah and he and Nick purchased the property at 187 Atlantic Avenue in 1946. Within two years, Sahadi Importing Co began its operations in Brooklyn. In the early 1960's, Wade Sahadi and Nick Sabah were joined by Wade's two older sons Charlie and Richard and in the 1970's by Wade's younger son Bob and Charlie's wife Audrey. Mr. Sabah retired in 1981. Wade passed away in 1967, having built a solid foundation and reputation for the family business. The first expansion for the Sahadis was in 1975 when two buildings were purchased on Bergen Street to become the wholesale warehouse. Six years later, a larger warehouse was purchased in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. In 1990, meanwhile, the Sahadi family had bought Regina Nut Products, and for 11 years continued to run it as a separate business. In the early 1990's, two of Charlie and Audrey's children, Christine and Ron, joined the business. They, along with Christine's husband Pat, made Sahadi's a true third generation business. In 1999, the Sahadi family formed Sahadi Fine Foods to concentrate on manufacturing superior food products. They purchased a property in the Sunset Park area of Brooklyn and spent the next two years building a modern manufacturing plant. They opened the doors July 1, 2001.After 54 years, the original Sahadi retail store at 187 Atlantic Avenue is still going strong. In addition, the store is the best showroom for our wholesale customers.